Sunday, June 12, 2016

37 Weeks


How far along? 37 weeks! 

How big is baby? The size of swiss chard. 

Total weight gain/loss: 53 lbs! That was pretty disappointing but not surprising. I'm trying not to dwell on it and just move forward.

Maternity clothes: I've had to put away basically all shirts except for stretchy t-shirts. Everything else is too snug! 

Sleep: I've been having more sleep troubles this week. I'm finding that I just don't need as much sleep. I've been averaging around 5 hours at night with one short nap during the day. It seems to be all that I need-I'm assuming it's just my body getting ready for upcoming sleepless nights.

Best moment this week: Getting to spend time with Alex this weekend. He worked around 80 hours this past week on a big project and I got quite lonely having him gone all day. I would see him in the morning when he woke up, and sometimes for a meal here or there, but otherwise he was gone basically all week. Over the weekend we worked at home a lot on our list of projects, but we made sure to enjoy some time together and give Alex a break. We went to the pool in the afternoon and then went shopping for some pajamas for the baby. We also decided on a name for baby girl! We're about 90% sure-we still want to see her before we make it official though.

Movement: Baby girl has been very kind to me this week with her movement. I have been more paranoid this week about her movements, and I feel like she can always tell when I get concerned and starts moving for me. 

Food cravings: Fruits! Especially strawberries.

Food Aversions: Vegetables

Gender: Girl! 

Pregnancy Symptoms: Braxton Hicks, swelling, heartburn, fatigue, and a very efficient digestive system.

What I miss: Sleeping on my stomach. I've tried to a few times this week, strangely, and then my gigantic belly gets in the way.

What I am looking forward to: Having another ultrasound at my next appointment! I was able to meet with my doctor and discuss my 36 week ultrasound. She said they can be off by a couple of ounces, but that it looks like I could have a 9 pound baby! That is not really what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that because I was 8 lbs. 4 oz. and Alex was 7 lbs. 14 oz. that our baby would be somewhere around there. 9 lbs is a lot bigger than I was hoping for, especially for my first baby. Because my mom was unable to vaginally deliver her children, even my sister who was under 5 lbs., I have been nervous about inheriting her anatomy and needing a c-section. It's impossible to tell until you try, but I have been feeling like having a giant baby is really going to decrease my chances of having a vaginal birth. Because of my family history, the doctor wants to do another ultrasound at 38 weeks and discuss the possibility of inducing me at 39 weeks if she's still measuring big. The thought of induction is exciting and also nerve wracking. Induction can increase the risk of a c-section, but so can a giant baby, so I'm nervous about deciding which route would give me my best chances of a vaginal delivery. 

Upcoming appointments/events: My 38 week appointment is June 16th. 

Milestones: I made it to full term!

Miscellaneous: This week has been one of the most difficult for me emotionally this pregnancy. My cousin Aubrey, who lives with her family in Houston, lost her baby at 32 weeks while she was visiting her family in Utah. I was so devastated and sad for her. She and her husband have had many trials with infertility and we were all so looking forward to this baby. The loss of their baby was extra hard for me emotionally because Aubrey is the closest family member I have right now, our babies were expected to arrive about a month apart, are both girls, and have the same middle name. I was so excited and happy for baby girl to have a family member so close by and so close in age. The news has been very difficult for my hormonal pregnant brain to process, but I have been amazed by my cousin's faith and strength as she has dealt with the loss of her sweet baby girl. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your cousin's baby. It breaks my heart just thinking about it--I can't even imagine what you all must be going through. Hang in there! Can't wait to meet your sweet baby girl. I'll be keeping you both in my prayers! <3 You're so close!

    ReplyDelete