Sunday, April 10, 2016

28 Weeks


How far along? 28 weeks! 

How big is baby? The size of a coconut. 

Total weight gain/loss: Not sure again.

Maternity clothes: Yes, and I'm managing pretty well with what I have right now!

Sleep: This week I just haven't been sleeping enough! Work has been very busy and stressful. I've stayed up too late and woken up too early. Spending our Saturday night/Sunday morning at the hospital isn't helping us start our week out right either.

Best moment this week: It was awesome to get another ultrasound, even if the circumstances weren't the most desirable. It was good to see baby was healthy, and confirm she's definitely a girl! She did not like the utlrasound though and was not interested in showing her face. But we got to see all of her extremities and organs. She was wiggling her toes, which was completely adorable. The tech measured her as being quite big though! Everything was measuring between 31-33 weeks, and they estimated her weight at 4.1 lbs. The doctor told me at my appointment this last week that average is around 2.5 lbs. I think this baby's gonna big and tall! I'm most concerned for my sake that her head was measuring at 33 weeks, 3 days. 

Movement: She's still a mover. She did NOT like the monitors they hooked me up to at the hospital. She kept kicking or punching them, and so they'd strap them tighter and tighter around my stomach to stop them from moving so much. 

Food cravings: Veggies

Food Aversions: Avocado

Gender: Girl! Extra confirmed!

Pregnancy Symptoms: Still swelling. My ligaments are getting extra loose and my joints pop all the time. 

What I miss: Rolling over easily.

What I am looking forward to: My baby shower in Utah!

Upcoming appointments/events: The doctor from the hospital is sending me in to see my OB sometime this week.

Milestones: We are officially in the 3rd trimester!!!

Miscellaneous: We had quite an interesting Saturday. We got in a minor car accident in the afternoon. We were all completely fine, and it was like a really comfortable game of bumper cars. Our car was damaged on the drivers side front wheel and the drivers door. The rim on the tire bent and caused a flat, and the driver's door won't open. The airbags didn't deploy, and we all felt perfectly fine, so we assumed we just needed to take care of the car stuff and we'd be good. 

Later that night when we were home, I did some research and realized that my doctor recommends being seen after any motor vehicle accident, regardless of severity. Around 11 pm we called the emergency line the doctor gave us. The nurse got after us a little for waiting so long to call (we didn't know!) and sent us to labor and delivery at the hospital. Policy is to monitor for 4 hours, so we braced ourselves for a long night. They hooked me up to two monitors-one for the baby's heartbeat, and one for contractions. The doctor on call told us that we would be able to leave after an hour and an ultrasound since it had been so long since the accident and I hadn't had any symptoms. They ordered an ultrasound to check the baby, but mostly to check that the placenta hadn't detached from the uterine wall during the accident. (The placenta is why they always want pregnant women to be seen after a motor vehicle accident.) 

Everything checked out with my placenta, and so the doctor was ready to let us go home, but the nurse said they hadn't been able to get a solid 20 minutes of monitoring. They hooked me back up to the monitors, but baby kept moving or kicking them away. The nurse came back in to adjust the monitors, and I was determined to make the 20 minutes count. I held as still as I could stand to on the hard, uncomfortable bed. At the end of the 20 minutes the nurse came back in and said I was having some very mild, inconsistent contractions, so the doctor had decided to keep me the full 4 hours. I told the nurse I really needed to use the restroom, and had been holding it a while to get a good sample. She told me that may be the cause of the mild contractions. Of course that would happen. It was pretty frustrating.

We were finally told we could go home a little after 4 am, and we made it home around 5 am. We were so exhausted and ended up sleeping most of the day on Sunday. It was a crazy 15 hours, but we're glad that the baby is healthy and all is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment