Sunday, January 24, 2016

17 Weeks


How far along? 17 weeks! 

How big is baby? The size of a pomegranate. 

Total weight gain/loss: Still unpacking... haha.

Maternity clothes: I've basically switched to maternity most of the time. I still have a pair of regular pants that are comfortable to wear. My shirts are pretty 50/50. I think I've been wearing my maternity shirts so much just because they're comfortable. 

Sleep: Sleep would be pretty good if it weren't for the allergies! I think Cedar Fever is finally affecting me this year and it's awful. My eyes are puffy, and I have super awful congestion. 

Best moment this week: Hearing the heartbeat! (More on why we got to hear it later.) The best part of my unexpected appointment was getting a little insight into our baby's personality. Once again, the heartbeat was really hard to find. The nurse would catch it for a minute, and then it would be gone. This nurse was really fun and kept commenting that the baby was running away from her. Apparently every time she would push on the baby with the Doppler it would move out of the way. The nurse commented that the baby must take after their dad-assuming Alex was the type who can't stop moving. I think the baby is actually taking more after me in this instance. My family has always said I have a "bubble"-I don't like being touched and I like my personal space. I think our baby must feel the same! We just want our space and to be left alone. Baby just better cooperate in a few weeks when we go to do the anatomy scan.

Movement: I can't feel it, but apparently baby is moving around a lot!

Food cravings: No real cravings this week.

Food Aversions: I can't really think of anything from this week.

Gender prediction: Alex says boy, and I'm all the way converted to boy now too.

Pregnancy Symptoms: Gall Bladder (and by Gall Bladder, I mean something hurts by my Gall Bladder but no healthcare professional will tell me what the crap is the problem with me so I can't get the relief I need so I'm sore and miserable most days.)

What I miss: Wearing regular jeans. My maternity pants don't fit super well right now and are always falling down.

What I am looking forward to: Finding out the gender!

Upcoming appointments/events: Our next appointment is February 10th.

Milestones: Having my first unanswerable pregnancy related pain!

Miscellaneous Info: So this week was a little more interesting pregnancy-wise than most of the other weeks have been. Last week at my appointment the doctor sent blood work in. This week I got a call back with the results. Apparently my thyroid is a little low. They wanted to put me on a low dose of synthroid to help get my thyroid back up. I wasn't really surprised by the results, as a lot of family members have problems with their thyroid. It was still a little hard to hear and process. I couldn't think of any questions to ask in the moment, but I started a list of questions to ask and called the next day. The nurse eased some of my worries a little. I'm going to stay positive that this thyroid issue is a temporary pregnancy thing. At the end of the phone call, I did remember to tell the nurse about a symptom I've been having for about a month or so and had forgotten to mention at my last appointment. I've had a pain in my right upper rib area that I thought was related to my bra being too small. The problem didn't really resolve with a new bra, and it would even hurt really bad when I wasn't wearing one at all. Usually it's a dull ache but multiple times a day it will act up and and hurt really bad. Sometimes I have to stop whatever I'm doing to wait for the pain to pass. After I told the nurse this, she thought it would be a good idea for me to come in that day to get things checked out. After checking on the baby, I met with the doctor and she's worried about my gallbladder. She said I'm at the perfect phase of my pregnancy, because I could have surgery right now if I needed it-unlike if I were in the 3rd trimester. Ah! I'm really hoping I don't have to have surgery. She referred me to a diagnostic imaging place to have a thorough ultrasound of my upper right abdomen. Two days later I went in for the ultrasound. They ordered a full abdominal, so I was hoping that would include getting to look at the baby! The ultrasound was quick and uneventful. And... apparently full abdominal means everything above my stomach and uterus. I was a little disappointed. We got the results at the end of the day and everything came back normal. I was happy there wasn't anything wrong with my organs, but frustrated that I still had no answer for the pain. The nurse kept suggesting it could be reflux and to try reflux medicine. I'm also getting really frustrated that they don't believe me when I tell them it's not reflux. I've felt it two or three times, PLUS I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist for crying out loud. I know what reflux is and this is definitely NOT reflux. Hopefully we can figure it out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment