Saturday, August 1, 2015

Third Anniversary

For our anniversary weekend we decided to head toward the gulf and hit the beach!

We stopped in San Antonio the first night so we could do sealings in the temple. This is a favorite tradition of mine that we've maintained through all our anniversaries. I just love being married to Alex and reminding myself of our own sealing all those years ago. I also got my Kneaders fix.  I seriously love that they came to Texas.

The next day we hit the road and headed to Port Aransas. I found us the perfect little place through airbnb. (Anyone else love this site? I'm hooked.) We stayed in a restored fisherman's cabin, at Angler's Court. It was small, but so quaint and perfect for us. We got complimentary bike rentals with our reservation, and they had super affordable beach rentals. 

After we checked in and got our bikes we went to the beach for a few hours. We had been warned about the beaches on the gulf. I'd heard some pretty awful things about it, and was told not to expect it to be anything like a California beach. I have to say, I didn't think the beach was quite as awful as people had led me to believe. I mean, the beach wasn't overwhelmingly beautiful, and the water wasn't super pretty either, but I thought it was alright for the gulf! 

Alex spent most of his time at the beach on the boogie board, and I split my time between the water and reading under the umbrella. It was super relaxing, but also fun!

Later our first night we took a bike ride around Port Aransas and stopped to watch the sunset at a pier overlooking the bay.

We woke up early Saturday morning to watch the sunrise over the gulf, and went onto one of the piers to get the best view. There were lots of people fishing early in the morning, including a fishing company that caught a stingray, and killed it. It hurt my heart so much. I thought they were going to throw it back into the ocean after they caught it, but nope. Luckily the sun started to break through the clouds to distract me from what I'd just seen. 

In the afternoon we went back to the beach for the day. We shopped around town that evening and got ice cream for the second time in a row. It was a great little getaway to celebrate three years!













1 comment:

  1. We used airbnb for our anniversary as well! We stayed in a little cottage outside Tahoe. First the wedding date, then anniversary weekend get-a-ways...great minds think alike ;) Miss you guys!

    P.S. Some of my favorite family memories are of vacations in Galveston at the gulf. Glad y'all had fun :)

    ReplyDelete